Sunday 9 February 2014

Stuck up a Turkey....

My flight out of the UK was delayed - seems the pilot of the incoming plane deemed Manchester too windy to land - apparently he was the only one to bottle out all day, and diverted to Scotland. Not an issue for me (I'd rather be late than dead), but everyone else seemed to moan at the poor kids at the desk at Manchester. One woman came storming back with her phone - "It's actually 15mph faster wind in Edinburgh - RIDICULOUS!" Seems she was meeting her husband somewhere, but looking at her, bet he appreciated the delay...
So my flight into Istanbul was late, meaning I missed the connection to Beijing. Next flight is 24 hours later, so at 3am in the morning (here) I arrived at what could loosely be described as a 'hotel'. No big deal - I've been in worse. I was a bit pissed I had to pay for an overnight visa (a sticker in my passport with no checks whatsoever - hand over a tenner and get a sticker! I could have had 'MR MASS MURDERER' on my passport details) and even pay for a travel plug (to charge my phone and stuff) and a toothbrush! My luggage is somewhere between here and Saturn. I'll take it up with Turkish Air in due course...
I've just been out for a walk - tried to find a COSTA but the guy who opened the door for me at the hotel said "NO! NO!" like that bloke from The Vicar of Dibley...plenty of atmosphere although I can't say I felt 100% safe, despite the intimidating posters & signs - the local guys were even more scary. Maybe it's me, but I believe in trusting my instincts. There was a large gathering outside some sort of religious meeting place - loud (distorted) music and lots of guys dancing, which all stopped when they saw me. Ooops - mind, I've been wearing these clothes for over 24 hours now....
 
PS I know some of these photos are still lob-sided. can't figure it out....

2 comments:

  1. Will the new laws coming in about destroying iffy branded goodies coming into the UK
    being destroyed affect you ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah!! Customs not interested in a few shirts, shoes & DVD's - not unless there are 'multiples' obviously for reselling!!
    Now I've said that, I'll probably get stopped next time, locked up, fed dead rat and raped in the showers by 'Mr Big'....

    ReplyDelete