Friday 18 April 2014

Playlist....

Stuff currently annoying my neighbours intensly....
 
Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love
Been ages since 'Sunny Side Up', and the incredibly infectious '10 out of 10' which always had me instantly had me leaping out of my chair and dancing (sort of) on the balcony outside my office (much to the amusement of my colleagues, who started to rig the CD player so they could gather around downstairs, selling tickets to watch the spectacle) - this isn't as instantly accessible, but the opening track / single itself is a great way to start a weekend...
 
Elbow - The Take Off & landing of Everything
Subdued & restrained but lyrics of pure poetry....the title track is great & reminds me of Genesis in the 70's ('Stagnation', actually), but don't let that put you off. 'My Sad Captains' is equally fab - Guy Garvey doesn't say "I love you", he says "oh long before you & I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups, to the night & all it's stars, to be here & now & who we are.....another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind, and if it's so we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time...."
A classic & the album that takes them into the premier league....
 
George Michael - Symphonica
A live jobby (with annoying gaps between tracks) but staggeringly well played & recorded by Phil Ramone. The sound is mega, and the warmth of his voice and the swirling orchestration is just mind-blowing in parts - check out 'A Different Corner' (paying attention to the bloody lyrics) and watch your eyes fill up. A real surprise, although the covers sometimes aren't. New stuff next please, George, before you fall out of a speeding milk float or snort a box of Sugar Puffs or something equally daft....

No comments:

Post a Comment