Wednesday 8 January 2014

"You get what you pay for..."

My dad used to say that a lot...he doesn't now - he's been dead for over 20 years - although his words still echo...
Back here in BJ (I wish!)I nipped into a 'Western' supermarket, near where I live, and right by the US Embassy and it may as well have 'COME ON IN, MUGS!" above the door - hell, it's expensive...
Note the 'Tetley' t-bags, with a 1.59 price on it (for the UK)? See below it, the price in China - 52 RMB - that's 5 pounds 20 pence!!!
Next along was a sigh saying 'Maturing Cereal' - I was a bit intrigued...was this some new kind of hybrid cornflakes they have crossed with the genes of a baby goat so me Frosties get bigger by the day, in the box? No - closer examination revealed it was a posh / 'lost in translation' term for 'out of date'...
Anyway, I bought a ton of stuff back from the UK with me (taking me 10KG over my limit - no problem with Turkish Airlines, so F*CK YOU BRITISH AIRWAYS) - including some Liquorice Allsorts, which I've been scoffing tonight as I download music** - but I noticed there wasn't a single ORANGE one in there! Yellow, brown & purple ones, but not even ONE orange one (I like orange sweets, whatever they are)...I thought it was because Mrs G had bought them from el cheapo Aldi or suchlike - but look, they are from M&S!!! Will their next advert feature some sloppy music and the line (in a sexy, slow voice)"These aren't just sweets...they are M&S sweets...WITH NO BLOODY ORANGE ONES IN!!!"
I guess buying liquorice allsorts that aren't made by Bertie Basset is like buying a Fiat Panda and sticking a PORSCHE badge on the front - I ain't so easily fooled...
 
** Downloaded stuff was some Dream Theater live tracks, The Rolling Stones Hyde Park gig & (wait for it) - the Gary Barlow album : the title track is FAB ("Since I saw you last") although not sure if the rest of it is arse-wipe....

No comments:

Post a Comment